It is important to mark the contents of each box legibly and prominently on the side of each box. Remember, the person marking the box may not be the person handling the box later in the move.
- Use labels or Sharpie permanent marker to mark directly on the boxes.
- Place the labels or marking on the SIDE of the boxes. Tops and bottoms can be obscured by other boxes that may be stacked on top during the move.
- If you have the patience, it is be a good idea to mark more than one side of each box.
- Room from whence the content came
- Things to include in your description:
The room in the old location where the box originated
The room in the new house in which the box should be placed for unpacking
Number each box in sequence e.g. 1,2,3 etc.
Use a color-coding system. Pick a color code for each room and label that room’s boxes accordingly. A pack of mixed color magic markers will do the trick.
Label the door of each room with the corresponding color code so that movers know where to place the boxes. Sticky notes and magic markers will do nicely.
Make a list of what’s in each box by number. Use this list to note anything of value that you do not want to mark on the outside of a box for security reasons.
Check off each box on the list as it arrives at the new location.